Devotional for Day 15 – September 15, 2013
Andy Wooding Jones, World Prayer Centre, Birmingham, UK
Using familiar verses from Hebrews 12 to discover both what we should pray and how we should pray as we devote ourselves to prayer during this season.
“Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the Author and Perfecter of our faith, Who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider Him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.” (Hebrews 12:1-3 NIV)
As we pray, there are some important reminders in these verses to strengthen us.
1. We are not alone! Let us draw encouragement from those whose faith-filled lives, even in times of difficulty and challenge, have reflected the faithfulness of God. May we not grow weary or lose heart as we pray.
2. As we pray, let’s ask God to show us the hindrances in our communities, nations and around the globe that create resistance to revival. Pray these may be thrown off.
3. As we pray, ask God that the entangling sin affecting so many lives today may be completely broken and people find freedom in Jesus.
4. And as we pray, let’s ask God for a renewed desire to seek Jesus first and let us fix attention on Him. There is so much to distract us. Let us not grow weary or lose heart especially when opposition comes for Jesus has gone before us.
5. Give thanks for Jesus using these verses.
Pray this Prayer:
Lord, as we meditate on these verses, we want to repent and say that we are sorry for the times when we have become hindered and entangled with sin. Please set us free.
Please show us how we can pray for freedom over our community and nations so that those around us would we free – fixing their eyes on Jesus and seeking Him first.
We thank You for all whose faithfulness has encouraged us and especially we thank You for the example of Jesus Christ. Help us to keep considering Him and learning from His life and from all He endured for us. In His precious name we pray. Amen.
Continue in prayer using the 4 prayer points as the Lord leads you.
1. Pray for a worldwide outpouring of the Holy Spirit for revival and transformation of the nations of the world.
2. Pray for the lost to find Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior.
3. Pray for a multiplication of prayer, praise and worship to God across the world as never before, to bring great glory to God.
4. Pray for the ReFRESH conferences, Sherwood and our part in seeking revival in our country and the nations.